Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cloth Diapers

I just placed an order with Green Diaper Store today. I got their starter kit which includes three diapers. I think I got two Fuzzibunz and one BumGenius brand. I also ordered an extra BumGenius Pocket diaper and a package of inserts. They said it will ship out tomorrow. All that for around $70 wasn't bad. I shopped around and found other sites more expensive. Was thinking about shelling out $136.00 for a starter kit on the Fuzzibunz site for six diapers. It evens out to be around the same price. I just wanted to give this cloth diapering thing a whirl.

My daughters father usually buys the wipes, diapers and formula. However I even find ways to be cost observant. I can't wait to try this out. When I told people I wanted to try cloth diapering, I got mixed replies. Most were positive. Some where asking me "why? Its a lot of work.". True. However I'm a stay at home Mom with no car and nothing other than to take care of Julia. I can do laundry. Of course four diapers doesn't cut it for a day. Like I said this is just a trial run.

When I was pregnant, I got a Cloth Know How from a friend of the family who is my age and has a little boy. Well that boy will be two this coming Spring. She is a "green" parent and we've corresponded through email all about the diapering process. I also have "green" parents on Facebook. I was still very confused as there are a bunch of different types of cloth diapering. For example:


  • Pre-folds - Requires a diaper cover as waste does not soil clothes. Needs something to hold diaper on like pins or something called a Snappi (looks like the inside of a Mercedes or peace sign). 
  • Fitted - Also requires a cover. Holds together with either snaps sewn on to it or Velcro (hook and loop). Not waterproof.
  • AIO (All in Ones) - Has a waterproof outer layer, a soak inner layer, These are used once and then need to be washed and dried.
  • AI2s (All in Twos) - This one is that the inner layer is not attached to the outer layer and can be changed and used again IF the outer layer hasn't been soiled. If it has it's called a "Poopy Blowout".
  • Hybrid - They are similar to AI2s however inserts can be laundered or disposable.
  • Pocket - There is an actual pocket inside the diaper that you add inserts to for as much absorbency as you want the diaper to have. 
There could be more options but these are the ones I've come across in my research. 

I will update further on this subject just as soon as my shipment comes it. May take some time as the store is in California and I'm in Massachusetts. Will definitely be interesting!

Ciao

2 comments:

  1. Most places will get your products to you in about 5 days in my experience. No, 4 diapers won't last long, but I started with about that many. I used them for part of the day when Beekee was awake, than went back to 'sposies at night. They're really not that much work when you compare it to the effort it takes to go shopping for more dipes and all that extra garbage. Also, doubly economical...when you're done with them you can sell them to make some of your cost back. When can you do that with 'sposies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't believe I could sell a soiled disposable diaper. Unless my daughter becomes famous one day..... Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete